Wednesday, August 12, 2009

One smart cookie... or girl... which ever you choose!

Ireland has impressed me again... This is not the first time I have blogged about her doing something that has caught me off guard at how truly gifted she is...
I am not sure if you remember the blog I posted where she was just over 2 years old and she drew a picture a person for the first time. Ireland has always been an easy learner. I have never had to push her to have an interest in books or shapes or anything like that. She was communicating with sign language at 6 months old... she knew all of her shapes by 15 months old... she as talking in full sentences by 16 months old... making up songs shortly after. She has just always been a fast learner. The thing that is the most astounding to me is Chris and I have NEVER gone out of our way to teach her these things (besides the sign language)... she just picks them up. I have never once sat her down and "taught" her all the shapes... but yet she knows them.
I have never worked on her vocabulary with her but yet she tells me things like, "My Nana makes the most exquisite cookies." (Yes Mum, that is a direct quote)... and she talks like that all the time.
I have never once taught her what sounds letters make... never sat down with her a told her how to sound out words... I have read her loads of books and she has asked me questions about how to spell words. But I don't do lessons or what not with her. I don't sit her down with the intention of teaching her how to read and write. If she asks a question, I will give her enough information so she can figure the answer out on her own... but I intentionally don't "teach" her these things...
Why you may ask? Because Chris and I feel like she will learn them sooner than later and there is no reason to push it even if we know she is capable of learning it... I have no doubt in my mind that Ireland is capable of reading... but am I going to sit her down and try to teach her to do it? No. If she comes up to me and says, "Mommy, what does this say?" am I going to help her sound it out until she gets it? Yes....
Anyways, the whole point of this... I have not taught Ireland how to write words yet... we have not worked on spelling... we have sounded out words, but not worked on spelling. So the other day when Ireland brought a "grocery list" to me that she made on her own... and I could read it, I was AMAZED! She took it upon herself to make a list and sounded out all the words by herself with no help from anyone. She just brought be a piece of paper that I could READ!
Sorry if I sound like an overly proud mom... but I guess you can say I am! So, here is the list... see if you can't figure out some of the things on it. Its kind of hard to see in the pics but I think you get the idea!

Keep reading below, I posted 2 other blogs tonight! :)
Again, sorry if I sounded like I was bragging about her... I guess I am... but I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way... I just can't help but be impressed by her!

6 comments:

maren said...

Seriously... I've said it forever and I'll say it again - your kid is a genius!!! :o) She is so stinking smart and I just love to see how much she just wants to learn! LOVE THAT KID! :o)

Nana said...

Obviously she takes after her Papaw!

The Malloy Family said...

I KNOW! Isn't it crazy?!?!? I totally know what you mean...people are constantly asking me what I did with Jackson, and my reply is always, "nothing." I really didn't...he taught himself to read, I just jumped on board when I noticed it! Just tonight I found a piece of paper where Jackson had been practicing writing his name, by himself, all of it perfect and in the lines. It's insane!
Don't be afraid to brag...you are her mom and her cheerleader! You have every right in the world to brag about her...she (and you) deserve it!

Anonymous said...

So cute! Love all of the blogs. She is smart, of course! Love her! One of my favorite memories of her is when she was like 18 months old and she would walk around saying "actually". Too funny! Miss you guys!

Gran said...

She is "ONE SMART COOKIE". We all know that. She will do so well in school. She will be at the top of her class. Love U Guys.. So enjoyed the blog's.

Grandma said...

Some kids are just curious and need to be learning all the time. Your Aunt Tina was reading at 4and your mom was doing math very early. Just keep reading to them to keep them interested. Don't let the teachers let her get bored. It's a wonderful thing to learn. Reading is something they can always do. I guess you realize that we are a reading family and I hope that came from their childhood where we read a lot. Great job, Mom....