Saturday, April 24, 2010

The whole story...

I am sure a lot of you have heard that Chloe recently had to have a crayon removed from her ear while under anesthesia... It was a very interesting ordeal! I thought I would fill you all in on the whole story.
It all started about almost 2 months ago (yes 2 months). My mom had come into town to spend the night with us. We were heading to Colorado the next day and Ireland was getting ready to go on her Disney World trip.
When I was putting the girls to bed Chloe told me that she had stuck a crayon in her ear. At first I thought she meant she had just stuck one in there to be funny and it came out. But she told me it was still in there. So I check it out and I didn't see anything. That is when I started to worry. Because she had told me that it was still in there and I couldn't see I figured it was really deep in there. I asked her if it hurt and she said no.
Chris brought up his flash light and we looked again. Still not able to see anything. I decided to call the on-call nurse and ask what they thought we should do. She said if Chloe wasn't in pain there was no way there was something in there. The nurse said if it was so far in there we couldn't see it, it would definitely be causing her pain.
So again, I asked Chloe if her ear hurt. She said no and she told me there wasn't a crayon in there anymore. So Chris and I figured it was fine and there wasn't anything in there.
We got up and went to Colorado the next day. I thought for sure if there was a crayon in there she would be in pain on the airplane. But nothing... she never even mentioned it again! EVER! I even washed she ears with q-tips once a week... nothing! She never mentioned it hurting or it even being in there! Chris and I just forgot about it.
Well, on March 31st Chloe turned 4... I scheduled her well-child check up. We went in on the 22nd expecting a super easy visit... in and out with a few shots. Well, when they looked in her ear... they found the crayon. We can only assume it has been in there since the end of February.
The doctor thought she could get it out by herself... she couldn't. I wish she wouldn't have even tried. She really hurt Chloe. I haven't heard Chloe cry like since she broke her leg. The doctor ended up scratching her ear canal. Lame. Chloe was pretty miserable.
So they decided to send us to the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor to see if they could get it out. They would have been able to if the peds doctor hadn't tried herself and made her ear all swollen and tender. But whatever... so we had to schedule a "procedure" to get it removed.
Thankfully they scheduled it for early the very next morning because after messing with it, Chloe was in a ton of pain. The poor little peanut cried off and on all night because her ear hurt so bad.
The next morning we left bright and early (6:30) to finally get it out. It was super fast and easy. Chris got to go back with her while they put her to sleep. After she was sleeping it took them about 3 minutes to get it out. Super easy.
We are so thankful it is over and she has it out of there. When it was done I asked her how her ear felt and she told me it finally felt like there was no crayon in there! :)
We have talked a lot about what goes in our ears... we have decided only words and sounds go in our ears! And crayons are only for coloring paper. After all this I don't think she will ever put anything in her ears again!
One thing I am worried about is her being afraid of the doctor now... she went through a lot that day and now she gets teary eyed when we even mention going to the doctor. So if you all could say a prayer for her and this fear Chris and I would appreciate it!
And again I will say it... only Chloe would live with a crayon in her ear for 2 months and thing nothing of it! :)

5 comments:

Scot said...

Oh, that is a crazy story. I am glad she is OK and the canyon is out. I would not want to go back to the doctor for a long time either if I was her.

Gran said...

Poor little Chloe. She will get ok about Dr's. It will take a little time. But I am glad she is ok and her ear is not damaged any. Tell her Gran is proud of her.

The Oakes said...

Oh Chloe..... really what more can you say?

Anonymous said...

So crazy! Only Chloe...you are gonna have so many stories to tell when she gets older! So glad she's doing good!

Grandma said...

That's one for the book. You know the one of our family we keep talking about. I'm glad she's all good now. Maybe she was watching that commercial where the Dr gets a bean and then a barbie show out of the kid's ear. I've wondered if some child was watching that and wondered if that would really work...